There are oh so many reasons why I love this recipe. Besides the gentle, pleasing taste and angel food cake likeness of the texture, these lovelies are quick to make and the clean-up is a breeze. Oh, and they freeze beautifully, so they are being added to my freezer inventory before baby comes (in about three weeks! Eek!). Some of my kids don't enjoy other recipes I've made with coconut flour, but all four of them (and Jeremy!) enjoy these muffins. Victory!
It almost feels wrong to call them muffins because they are so cake-like, but I don't want to feel badly about eating them for breakfast, so they are muffins. However, if you top them with your favorite vanilla frosting and maybe decorate them with a sprinkling of finely grated orange zest, they would make amazing cupcakes.
Grain Free Orange Muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes, bake time: 25 minutes, makes 24 muffins
- 8 eggs
- zest from one orange
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rapadura, sucanat, coconut or date sugar (the last 2 options make this recipe GAPS-friendly)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract or 2 vanilla beans
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease muffin cups or use muffin liners. Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high for 45-60 seconds, or until well blended. If it still doesn't look completely mixed, give it a stir with a spoon.
- Pour batter into muffin pans about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 25 minutes.