We all have that day in the week when we can feel just a wee bit crazy with all the goings on. Tuesdays are my loco day. To calm some of the crazy, Tuesdays are also crock pot dinner days. Here's a simple but super comforting and satisfying stew that is oh so gentle on the ol' grocery budget and gives extra grace for those full days. The beef. It falls apart at the touch of your spoon. I love me some tender meat.
Slow Cooker Beef & Root Stew
- 2 pounds stew meat or chuck roast cut into cubes
- 2 cups water or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 soft skinned potatoes (Yukon gold, red...), quartered
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 other roots of choice (rutabaga, radish, turnip, beets...), peeled and quartered (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place beef in the slow cooker and add water, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, onion, paprika, cloves, potatoes, carrots, and optional roots. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, mix in garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir arrowroot powder into cold water, then mix into the stew to thicken it up. Let sit for about 5 minutes, stir again, then serve.
I'm sharing this at Monday Mania, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday.