Ah, apricots. The harbinger of summer. We have been enjoying local apricots (or apriums, in our case) for a few weeks now. Learning to eat locally means you not only enjoy the fruit as it is in season, but also find ways to extend the season by preserving in various ways. I am sharing seven ways we have prepared and preserved apricots over the years so as to not let a single one go to waste. Find this post over at Modern Alternative Kitchen by clicking here. Happy apricot harvest!
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Friday, May 17, 2013
This post is one that has been on my heart to write since last August. It's taken me this long to pour it out because it's quite a vulnerable subject that many have very strong feelings about. Both Jeremy and I are advocates of homeschooling. We were both homeschooled. Today I share our journey of why our children attended our church's school this year, what our plans are for next year, and the importance of mothers, families, and communities supporting and loving each other no matter what their schooling choices are. I had the privilege of sharing this story over at Cheeky Bums, so head on over there if you are interested in reading. Happy weekend!
Monday, May 13, 2013
- I stressed out a little every time meal preparation came along because there was no plan.
- I really don't need extra stress in my life.
- Instead of our family of seven filling half a trash can once a week, all the packaging (of "organic products") filled our trash bin; something that never happens. It was startling and appalling.
- We spent way more money for all those easy-to-grab items.
- The house was crumbier because everyone was running around while they ate instead of sitting down to a meal.
- We lost our usual connection times of sitting together as a family to enjoy a meal as we ran around, eating and working.
- With everything said and done, I really didn't save any time buying more pre-made food.
- At the end of last week, we all noticed a severe decrease in energy and productivity and our stomachs hurt.
Lunch: Nuts, Raw Cheese, Summer Sausage (organic, grass-fed), Sourdough Bread
Snack: Apricot Creme Smoothies
Dinner: Cauliflower Pizza (using rutabaga instead of cauliflower; we'll see if it works!) with Cheese, Olives, & Pesto
Breakfast: Grain-Free Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Muffins
Lunch: Nut Butter & Berry Wraps
Snack: Strawberry Cacao Smoothies
Dinner: Simple Taco Salad
To do: thaw steaks for Friday night
Breakfast: Yogurt with Maple Syrup & Fresh Berries
Lunch: Sourdough Turkey & Cheese Sandwiches, Hummus, Carrot Sticks, Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds
Snack: Carrot Cake Smoothies
Dinner: Nourishing Potato Cheddar Soup
Breakfast: Chocolate Breakfast Shake
Lunch: Sourdough Ham & Turkey Sandwiches, Sprouted Sunflower Seeds, Apriums
Snack: Orange Julius
Dinner: Simple Summer Succotash
Breakfast: GF Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal
Lunch: Sourdough Raw Almond Butter & Homemade Jam Sandwiches, Coconut Secret Bars, Leftover Muffins From Tuesday Morning
Snack: Nut Butter & Honey Popcorn
Dinner: BBQ Steaks & English Pea Salad
Breakfast: GF Pancakes
Snack: Leftover Muffins From Tuesday Morning
Dinner: GF Turkey Pesto Pasta
Breakfast: Fried Eggs & Avocados
(Sunday is my day off)