Besides jams and jellies, pies are a happy way to preserve summer fruit when we need a warm-weather treat during the cold days to come. Use up your very ripe apricots with this recipe if you're done making jam. This is a pie that the Paleo, GAPS, gluten-free, and any ol' lover of food can gather 'round the table and enjoy. Fancy a crisp instead? Simple omit the crust, follow the filling & crumble recipe, and bake it in a 8x8 pan. Lidded pans come in extra handy if you plan to freeze it. My mixer was able to make two pies at a time. If you want to make a potluck-sized crisp, double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 inch pan.
Grain-Free Apricot Crumble Pie
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup expeller-pressed coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 4 cups apricots, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup coconut, date, or whole cane sugar (whole cane isn't GAPS or Paleo-legal, just FYI)
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crumb topping:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup expeller-pressed coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut, date, or whole cane sugar
- Beat all crust ingredients in a mixer and press crust into pie pan. You can either bake the crust in a pre-heated 350º oven for 15 minutes or dehydrate it at the highest temperature it will go for 45 minutes. Let the crust cool while you prepare the filling.
- To make filling, mix all ingredients in a mixer for about 10 seconds or until everything is mixed and the apricots have been mashed but not puréed. Pour filling into crust.
- To make crumble, combine all ingredients in mixer and. Mix until the crumbs are of the consistency you desire and sprinkle on top of pie.
- Now you may either cover pie and freeze for later or bake in a 375º oven for 45-55 minutes . If you are ready to bake a frozen pie, first place pie in oven, then turn it to 375º and bake for 60-75 minutes, or until pie is slightly browned and bubbly.