So... I know coffee cake usually has some sort of a crumbly topping, but this lil' dish o' goodness needs no such thing. It's already plenty sweet and satisfying on it's own, and simplicity is the name of the game. No one would ever guess it's made with almond flour; even the gluten-free-wary can't help but delight in a square. Or two.
Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Prep. time: 5 minutes, cook time: 25 minutes, serves 10
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup expeller-pressed coconut oil (it doesn't taste like coconut)
- 1/2 cup whole cane, date, or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 small or 2 medium/large apples, grated around the core (keep seeds and core out of the grated apples)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients but the apples and beat on high for about 1 minute. Add grated apples and stir on low just until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into greased pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the edges are brown and the middle doesn't wiggle. Cool for about 10 minutes and serve warm.