My husband suggests adding thin slices of smoked or sushi-grade salmon into the salad. I love the way that man thinks.California Autumn-Winter Salad
Prep time: about 20 minutes
1 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups pecans or walnuts (whole or in pieces)
2 Tablespoons honey1 head in-season lettuce, chopped
2 cups Napa cabbage, thinly chopped
2 cups micro sprouts
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
2 cups grated Parmesan or crumbled feta (we recommend feta)
- Prepare salad dressing (listed below) and let it sit while you craft the salad.
- Caramelize the nuts by melting butter in a pan, then add the nuts and drizzle the honey over the nuts. Stir well. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the pomegranate over a bowl of water. Slice pomegranate, then thumb out the seeds. The membrane will float, the seeds will sink. Pour out membranes and water from the bowl, strain the remaining water out, leaving the seeds alone with virtually no mess for you to clean up! See pictures below.
- Thinly slice the pear, apple, and avocado.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Allow each person to pour desired amount of dressing over their bowl of salad. (Keeping the dressing separate allows you to make the salad ahead of time without it getting soggy. You can prepare the salad a couple hours before serving, stored in the fridge.)
Step 1: slice pomegranate, get bowl of water.
Step 2: Thumb out the seeds into the water.
Step 3: Membranes are floating, seeds are sinking. Success!
Step 4: Draining the membranes and water out.
Tada! No mess!
We like our fruit chopped like this.
2 chives, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (optional but recommended
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons raw honey
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients but oil. Whisk dressing as you pour the oil in to incorporate it well.
I'm Sharing this at: Pennywise Platter, Potluck Sunday, Sunday Potluck, Monday Mania, Tuesday Twister, Real Food Wednesday, Vegetarian Foodie Friday, Foodie Friday