Slow Cooker Bean, Rice, & Meat Burritos or Bowls
Makes 24 burritos or bowls
- 2 cups dried beans of choice (pinto, black, or white, or a mixture)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 lemon or 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- Filtered water
- 6 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed ground meat (turkey, beef, venison, lamb...)
- 1 bunch broccoli or cauliflower (optional)
- 2 cups grated cheese of choice (we prefer cheddar and/or jack)
- 1 cup creme fraiche (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced olives
- avocado slices
- 12-24 hours before serving (the longer, the better), soak beans and rice in a large, non-stainless steal bowl (I use the largest bowl from this set) along with the juice of one lemon. Cover and soak 12-24 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans and rice, place them in the slow cooker along with 6 cups filtered water or bone stock and 3 tablespoons taco seasoning. Stir and then cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once the beans and rice are cooked, brown ground meat. Finely process optional broccoli or cauliflower in food processor and add to ground meat. Season with 3 tablespoons taco seasoning and mix with 1/2 cup water. Stir over medium heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Assemble burritos or bowls, each with a layer of beans and rice, meat, cheese, optional creme fraiche, and any optional garnishes you choose. Serve immediately or freeze burritos individually or in a dish (like these) with the amount you'll need to feed your family a meal. Freeze bowls in individual containers (I recommend these lidded glass containers) or in one large enough to feed your family a meal.